When our lovely, perfect little girl was born, my husband held her and cooed affectionately, "She looks just like a little Ghoulie!" Ghoulies, apparently, is a B (or perhaps C?) movie from the mid-80's. I know this now because he made me watch it with him, just to prove his point. There I sat, bored to death by the same tired haunted mansion story, when onto the screen pops -- my newborn?! No, a "Ghoulie"! But man, what a resemblance.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

thank God for family

This is HARD. I can't use the line "Nobody warned me!" because everybody warned me. But until you're sleeping less than two hours at a time, until your breasts exist primarily for someone else's benefit (no, husbands don't count), you can't really comprehend how difficult life with a newborn will be.
My sister-in-law, sensing the impending effects of sleep deprivation and dropping hormones, strongly suggested I come up for a visit today. So after a much-needed shower (honestly, does postpartum sweat stink more than the regular stuff?), Little Ghoulie and I will leave the dishes in the sink and go for a drive. Leaving the dishes is just as well, since Ghoulie is only happy in her sling today, which makes dish-washing slightly more challenging than pregnancy did.

No comments: