When our lovely, perfect little girl was born, my husband held her and cooed affectionately, "She looks just like a little Ghoulie!" Ghoulies, apparently, is a B (or perhaps C?) movie from the mid-80's. I know this now because he made me watch it with him, just to prove his point. There I sat, bored to death by the same tired haunted mansion story, when onto the screen pops -- my newborn?! No, a "Ghoulie"! But man, what a resemblance.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Mr. Clean

Jake's laundry handicap has been something of a running joke throughout the course of our marriage. He has a very, very difficult time seeing that dirty clothes make it into the hamper. They land on the bathroom floor, strewn about the bedroom, or somewhere else inconvenient, but in the proximity of the washing machine. But rarely do they land in the hamper. In our old house, I even bought a second laundry basket for the top of the basement stairs. (I'd rather not call it "enabling." I prefer to think of it as "keeping my sanity.")
Now, not only does Jake have his wife to nag him about this, but his mother as well. The result?
Today, upon taping up the Ghoulie's clean diaper, he asked, "Do I really need to put her pants back on? It's warm in here, and she seems so much happier with them off." I shrugged. Didn't matter to me until we had to leave the house, and that wasn't for another hour. (Note: He knew we'd be preparing to leave soon.) At which point I asked him, looking around the living room, "Hey, where'd you put her pants, anyway?"
Can you guess, can you guess?
Yup.
"Uh, in her hamper."
They tell you there's a first time for everything. What they fail to mention is, it will be the most inconvenient time possible.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I hate to discourage you, but I used to (lovingly) nag his Dad, too. To no avail. Mostly, the clothes land on the floor NEAR the hamper, or draped over the back of a chair, or hanging off the foot of the bed (where they eventually slither to the floor anyway).
I think it's some kind of mutant hamper-phobic gene.
So, in the interest of preserving my sanity, my marriage, and occassionally my husband's very life, I have adopted the attitude that all this bending over retreiving clothes from the floor is keeping me relatively limber in my golden years!
With Love and apologies (for not seeking professional help for Jake before I passed him on to you)
Ghoulie's Grammie

Janet Everett said...

He may be a little messy, but he sure is lovable. And it is very obvious that he adores you!

Just think what it might be like to be married to a neat freak--I knew a woman once who got nervous about her husband coming home at night because he'd be mad if it was messy....I'll take the clothes on the floor and no pressure!

Janet Everett said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I know that hamper!
~sae