When our lovely, perfect little girl was born, my husband held her and cooed affectionately, "She looks just like a little Ghoulie!" Ghoulies, apparently, is a B (or perhaps C?) movie from the mid-80's. I know this now because he made me watch it with him, just to prove his point. There I sat, bored to death by the same tired haunted mansion story, when onto the screen pops -- my newborn?! No, a "Ghoulie"! But man, what a resemblance.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

minutiae, procrastination, and a little BS

These days I find that I am busy with nothing. That is, nothing to show for it at the end of the day. The faithful blog readers among my family and friends gently assume that I am busy packing, job-searching, filling out change-of-address forms. But instead I find myself washing clothes that get dirty again, changing diapers that do the same, and sweeping up dog hair that falls faster than I can catch it. I have no idea how I am ever going to pack up this house, and the countdown is on. Less than a month to go now.
To be fair to myself, much of my time this past week was spent preparing for S.'s wedding. Which, as I mentioned earlier, was beautiful and certainly worth the effort on our part. But again, the wedding is over, and what do I have to show for it? Some cute bridesmaid gifts and several bags to unpack, just so that I can pack them again for our interview trip to New Hampshire next week.
I HATE MOVING.
But I love New Hampshire and, quite honestly, do not much like Pittsburgh anymore. (Sorry to all you natives.) So I love the fact that I am moving. I just hate doing the moving.
I have a new fantasy. It presented itself about a month ago, or maybe two. It is the most exciting, fulfilling fantasy experience of my life. And it is this: I have packed, I have driven, I have arrived. As I sink down on my mother-in-law's couch, I know that I am here, in New Hampshire, and that we have moved. I know that it is done.
Oh, how I long for that day.
In the meantime, these never-opened college textbooks aren't going to pack themselves. Which leads me to ask, "How did I ever get an A on a term paper when I never opened the book on which it was based?" If only I could BS packing the way I BSed college. Packing, unfortunately, is totally un-BS-able.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have sworn that I would never pack to move again; I'd just burn it all.

Of course, this is a nice thing to say to oneself in a moment of smugness. When our time comes to move, I just hope we don't end up putting Little B in a box and shipping him ahead.

We'll miss you. :(

Anonymous said...

Wish I was there to give you a hand. All I can do is pass on some tips.
#1 - go to the grocery store and get as many BANANA BOXES as you can fit into the Durango.They have covers AND handles, and aren't too big. Put your good stuff in these.
#2 - Stuff that's still good, but you don't want to bother with put outside with a big FREE sign on it. It won't be there when you get up in the morning.
#3 - Get a big black trash bag for the rest of the stuff.
Now, don't think of it as packing -think of it as "SORTING" !!
Love you,
Ghoulie's Grammy