When our lovely, perfect little girl was born, my husband held her and cooed affectionately, "She looks just like a little Ghoulie!" Ghoulies, apparently, is a B (or perhaps C?) movie from the mid-80's. I know this now because he made me watch it with him, just to prove his point. There I sat, bored to death by the same tired haunted mansion story, when onto the screen pops -- my newborn?! No, a "Ghoulie"! But man, what a resemblance.

Friday, August 04, 2006

danger: road work (and whining) ahead

It's going to be that kind of day, apparently.
Didn't sleep well last night -- hungry little Ghoulie has hit her three month growth spurt, for starters. And I never sleep very well when I know I have to get up early the next morning. Maybe I'm afraid I'll sleep through my alarm or something. So I actually watched the clock change from 4:59 to 5:00, when the sounds of NPR news headlines filled the bedroom. Showered and dressed, even had time to feed Ghoulie (again!) before I left for class. And I hated to leave her this morning; she was so cute and smiley lying on the bed in that faint early morning light.
Got to the yoga studio at 5:59 for my 6:00 class, and managed to teach at least decently. Actually I think it was a pretty good class, except that ever since I became pregnant I've had a tendency to confuse left and right. Probably has to do with the lack of sleep.
Which brings me to the rest of my morning. Could not wait to get back in bed after class. Ghoulie was all snuggled up on Jake's chest when I got home, but she woke up to eat before I could fall asleep. Then the phone rang. And a half-hour later, both of us had finally drifted off, when a cartoonishly loud, and I mean LOUD sound, made me jump. Which made Ghoulie jump. And when we looked out the window, we saw a street crew, complete with JACKHAMMER, working approximately 20 feet from the bedroom window. Give or take a few feet and a couple of stories. At any rate it sounded like it was 2 feet away. When I stomped downstairs to whine, Jake looked out the front door and said, "It's just a small square, they probably won't take long." Wrong!!! That small square was only the top layer of oh, ten or so. Then came the backhoe. All in all things quieted down just before I would have had to wake up again. Meaning, just now. Meaning, three minutes ago.
Did I mention I'm starting to warm up to the moving idea? Suddenly, you couldn't get me out of this city fast enough. I'm not sure I've ever even seen a jackhammer in New Hampshire. Certainly have never been awakened by one outside my window.
Hey, there it is again. Guess they weren't done after all.

No comments: